Happiness

Happiness

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Fruit Smoothie with Chia Boost

The last couple of days we have had some funky weather! It was muggy and dark, very atypical SoCal weather. This weather makes me feel totally blah.  It didn't feel like the kind of weather to make a smoothie. Not that you need perfect sunshine for smoothies, but it also made for ridiculously poor lighting for photographing anything in the kitchen. Thank goodness the sun started to peek out again today.

Around snack time my kids wanted something to eat and I haven't restocked our healthy fridge snack box so of course they come to me to find out what they can nibble on. Amberly wanted a smoothie and I had just been given a tip to try adding chia seeds to a smoothie for a boost of energy so that's what we tested out in the kitchen.





I used apple juice for this smoothie. We don't typically drink juice in our house but for a smoothie to blend well and taste good I find you need a cup of juice. And remember my cool smoothie tip from this post about adding liquid to the blender.

Amberly knows I can easily get distracted so she got everything out and on the counter.



Here's what you'll need to recreate this at home:

1 cup apple juice
1 cup organic yogurt - I used Stonyfield Smooth & Creamy Vanilla flavored
3 heaping cups frozen fruit - pineapple, mango peach, strawberry 
2 Tbsp chia seeds - I used Chosen Foods
optional - kiwi slices to garnish



When you've added everything to the blender (remember liquid goes in first!), cover and blend for 2 minutes on high.


This recipe made 3 kids size smoothies and one tall smoothie.




The verdict? The kids loved it and were arguing over who got the last bit that was left. 

I have to say this one ranks right up there with the Organic Tropical Smoothie Surprise we made recently. If you didn't see that one, I highly recommend you give it a try. It's perfect for breakfast!


Be sure to PIN THIS TO YOUR SMOOTHIE BOARD!


If you like this post, you'll also like these (just click on the image to get recipe):

            






No comments:

Post a Comment